2009 Android Wish List
What would you like to see Google (and others) do with Android in 2009? Here are some things I came up with.
- Bluetooth APIs.
- Explicit support for unit testing, with clear examples and IDE support.
- Step-by-step OpenGL tutorials, along the lines of the excellent Notepad tutorial.
- A first rate IDEA plugin.
- A damn good GUI builder.
- Winchester hard disk drive support.
- Longer G1 battery life
- The ability to install apps on the SD card, and make it obvious how to put SQLite DBs on the SD card.
- More standard actions and reusable activities. For example, make it easy to select pictures from the filesystem, crop photos, etc. These pieces are all there, but not always included as public APIs. Over time, I hope to see more reusable building blocks, making application development easier.
- A pre-built JAR file containing all the SDK sources, so I can download a single JAR and drop it into my IDE.
- Improved navigation on the Reference Information web site. There are a large number of examples, but the web site is hard to navigate. At a minimum, some kind of breadcrumbs would be nice. It’s really easy to get lost on the current site.
- Never, ever release another phone without a standard headphone jack.
- Improved contact management. My main gripe is when editing contacts, I get duplicate email address conflicts, with no smart merging of the duplicate entries.
- ** Update: Flash support (see Michael’s comment below)
I suspect we’ll have most of these items sometime in 2009.
Warning: Parameter 2 to wp_hide_post_Public::query_posts_join() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/stuffthathappens/public_html/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286